Thứ Hai, 30 tháng 4, 2018

Waching daily Apr 30 2018

I bet you're going to be happy with this video, because you have been asking for it ...

...Since I recorded "What happens with Istanbul dogs?" and "Turks and Horses" videos.

So you started to wonder: "When will be the turn of cats?"

It will be today.

I'm going to talk about cats in Turkish culture.

Cats, along with horses and wolves, are important animals in Turkish culture.

Cats are really loved by Turks.

This love exists for a long time, historical sources show how much sultans loved felines.

For example, cats would be easily seen in the palace gardens.

In fact, let me show you some pictures taken during my last visit in Topkapi palace.

As you can see, things haven't changed that much.

I will show you more pictures because I took a lot last time I was there.

I am in the habit of taking photos of cats when I travel.

I'm going to make use of it.

But let's get back to the point.

Cats are considered as pure animals in Islam, something that doesn't happen with dogs, for example.

It seems that Prophet Mohammed had a special predilection for cats,

That's why cats are given special consideration in some Muslim countries.

It's told that the Prophet Mohammed's favourite cat, called Muezza (Am I saying it right?)

...fell asleep on his sleeve and he decided to cut it in order to let the cat sleep.

And who wouldn't?! Who will have a cold heart to wake a sleeping cat?

I feel such peace of mind every time I see my dog sleeping...I'd also cut my sleeve.

It is also said that a cat saved Prophet Mohammed from a snakebite,

That's why he granted them the gift for falling on their feet and entering Paradise.

If you are looking for a more practical reason, I'll tell you that...

Cats have always been very useful to keep rat & insects populations at bay (both at home and in the street)

That's why they have had such significance in a lot of cultures (in daily and spiritual life)

The Ancient Egyptian people may come to our minds now, they worshipped cats to the extent of cat mummification.

Oddly, cats were related to witchcraft and black magic in some parts of Europe during Middle Age.

Atrocities were comitted: Cats were burned to death, massacred and accused of passing illnesses.

Even more if they were black.

The superstition that coming accross with a black cat brings bad luck still exists nowadays.

How odd!

I've already bring this topic up in my video "Mythological Origin of Turks" (You know what you have to do if you haven't watched it!)

One of the things I said was that ...despite of the fact wolves were admired in a lot of cultures, they had a bad reputation in Europe.

So we realize something similar happened with cats. Not in the same way, fortunately.

Cats have already cleared their reputation.

You already know I'm against the human stupidity towards poor animals.

Anyway, let's leave wolves aside and let's focus on cats again (Istanbul cats, to be precise. I talk about Istanbul because it's the city I know)

Why cats are said to be the heart of Istanbul?

Just like dogs, they have a very curious life (From the western point of view)

They are street cats, but not stray cats.

Some Turks think that cats have to exercise their right to be cats. This right may be affected if they were forced to live inside four walls.

That's why anonymous neighbours feed, pet, take to the vet and take care of the cats of their neighbourhood.

So the large feline community lives intertwined with the large human community.

Shelters are built, food and water is delivered,

Shops' and restaurants' doors are left open so cats can sleep inside.

Cats can also feel free to get inside people's houses to demand food or pats.

Cathouses are placed in strategic points by the Municipality.

Anyway, if you are interested in this topic, I recommend you this documentary: Kedi (cat in Turkish)

I plan to give my opinion about it in a coming video, I think it's quite interesting.

I can't leave you before talking about 2 famous Istanbul cats (among hundreds)

They are known thanks to the Internet, and there is a chance you've already seen them before.

The first one is Gli, the cat who lives in Hagia Sophia.

It's not the only one who lives there, but it's known around the world.

If you google "Gli the cat", you'll get a lot of results.

For example, you might see a photo where the former USA president Obama pats it. Gli isn't just any cat!

Funnily, I've found some photos of Gli among my personal photos too!

I took photos of it and I didn't know I was in front of a celebrity!

Finally, let me introduce "Tombili" (Am I saying it right?) to you.

This cat was known throughout the world because of its pose.

You may recognize it when you see it.

When it died, 17.000 signatures were collected with the purpose of doing a memorial.

At the end, a little bronze statue was erected in the place Tombili used to be.

What do you think about this?

It's my turn to say bye, whatever you want to tell me, write it in the comments...

...Because I read them all, as you know.

If you feel like telling me some catlike stories, they will be welcomed too...even if they have nothing to do with Turkish cats.

I'll be seeing you in the next video, don't fail me!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét